Home / Services / Code Enforcement
Welcome to our online portal for CODE ENFORCEMENT Division
Code Enforcement is vital to community development.
"Code" means a particular part of the law in the U.S., so code enforcement occurs when cities enforce their municipal or local laws. Usually though the term pertains to property upkeep. Aggressive but sensible approaches to bringing property owners into compliance with the law, local ordinances, can be an important part of maintaining the appearance and functioning of the city of Compton. Compton practices a block by block "systematic" program of enforcing nuisance laws along with a complaint-based type of enforcement for property maintenance code violations. The systematic, house-by-house program helps prevent the neighborhood from moving into total decline. This means that a code officer drives through the neighborhood to identify apparent violations of the municipal code. They also note weeds, grass that's too tall, fences that are falling down, abandoned unlicensed cars, animals that aren't allowed by code, or any other potential nuisance that is spelled out in the code.
When you hear someone loosely talking about code violations and why the city isn't enforcing the codes, the first question to ask is whether the city actually has adopted, by ordinance, a code that would cover the offending situation. If so, there might be a clear path toward making property owners accountable for maintaining their buildings and property.
Getting started is easy
Tips for dealing with nuisances
- Be polite with the Code Enforcement Officer. He is only trying to help.
- Give enough detailed information and correct address. The more detail the better we can address the concern.
- Provide pictures and evidence. This will allow for a faster verification and resolution of the violation.
- Be patient. Setting up and assigning the violation takes time.
- Verify if you don’t have a pending violation. When you file a complaint, there is a chance that there will be a site visit and if your property has a violation, it can be discovered during the process.