Welcome to Our online portal
Permitted construction is able to commence/recommence under the conditions that a sufficient Jobsite Hazard Analysis (JHA), Site Specific Safety Plan (SSSP), and other safety documentation with a particular focus on COVID safety in accordance with state and federal guidelines on COVID spread prevention is provided to and approved by ISD. All other pre-COVID conditions and requirements remain in full force and effect.
Examples of a JHA and SSSP can be found in the ISD Contractor Safety Package available here.
Ensure a JHA and SSSP are uploaded to the General Contractor’s primary building permit in Citizenserve, or if there is none, to the individual permit application (i.e. Electric, Gas, or Plumbing permit):
Required measures for safety documentation include but are not limited to the following:
- All workers on the site must wear clean face coverings, masks, or face shield which cover their nose and face, unless unable due to a medical condition or is otherwise exempted by Department of Public Health guidance.
- A sign-in/sign-out log must be maintained for all persons on site (including deliveries).
- Hand tools are not to be shared
- Limit the number of people that reside in different locations traveling in the same vehicle
- Sanitization procedures and handwashing availability
- Social Distancing
- Site Health Checks and/or Self-Health-Certification Checks prior to shift
- Limiting individuals present at time of inspection if practical
As an alternative to a physical sign in sheet as well as self-certification form, you can use an electronic version that will be logged with ISD available here.
There will be additional details provided if additional restrictions are mandated.
Outdoor Dining Applications are now open. If you would like to amend your current license to apply for outdoor dining whether it be private, sidewalk or parklet seating please apply for a Licensing Commission License Amendment. Find detailed instructions here https://www.somervillema.gov/documents/119
If you are looking for financial assistance with the outdoor dining program please visit https://www.somervillema.gov/outdoordining
- COVID Spread Prevention
- EPA Approved Disinfectants
- JHA Template and Instructions
- OSHA COVID Worker Exposure Prevention
Thank you for vising our website where you can access all of online services from your home, office, or mobile device.
Through this portal you have access to all of our online services for permitting, planning and zoning, licensing, code enforcement and general requests. We value your input, if you have any comments or suggestions please email us at email@example.com.
Online Services You Need
- LICENSING BY BOARD OF ALDERMEN, LICENSING COMMISSION, HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Starting a business? Learn when you need a license, research submittal requirements, apply online, pay license fees, and view the status of your license application all from your home, office or mobile device.
Apply for a License
Search for a license
Learn more about licensing
- PERMITTING BY BUILDING DEPARTMENT AND ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
Remodeling or adding on to your home? Learn when you need a permit, research submittal requirements, apply online, view review status, pay permit fees and schedule inspections all from your home, office or mobile device.
Apply for a Permit
Search for a permit
Learn more about permitting
- PERMITTING BY FIRE PREVENTION BUREAU
Fire Department Permits cannot be applied for through Citizenserve. Permits must be processed in person at 1 Franey Rd., Somerville MA.
Fire permits are required for the following:
‚óŹ Whenever an electrical permit is involving wiring of Fire Alarms then a Fire Alarm installations or modifications permit is also required
‚óŹ Installation/modification to a sprinkler system
‚óŹ All sales of a home/apartment/condo require a Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Inspection
‚óŹ Above or below ground tank installations/removals‚óŹ Dumpsters placed on properties (not on street)
- Failure to obtain a dumpster permit prior to placing a dumpster on property could result in a fine.‚óŹ Tent permits for tents larger than 120 sq. ft.
‚óŹ Food truck inspections
A check or money order, made out to the city of Somerville, is the only acceptable method of payment for Fire Department permits.
Rental Property Sign State Building Code Appeals Board
- Rodent Information-English CSL - Complaint Application
- Rodent Information-Haitian Creole
- Rodent Information-Portuguese
- Rodent Information-Spanish
Constituent Services (311)
Have you seen blight, weeds, illegal parking or other code enforcement violations in your neighborhood? If so submit an online complaint, and it will be automatically routed to the appropriate department for investigation.